Sunday, November 4, 2012

Disrespect for the deceased on the TV news

I just sent this email after watching the evening news:

Dear Fox 40 News, I just watched the story this evening of the quadruple-fatality accident on I-5 in Elk Grove, and was appalled to see multiple shots of the dead bodies on the live TV news. All the yellow paper blankets shown have dead bodies beneath them; the bodies of people's family members, shown on the live TV news. I'm sure the reporter and your organization know that this is what those yellow blankets are for. This is disgusting, appalling, disrespectful, and grossly irresponsible newscasting. I understand that pictures of the accident have an emotional effect that you use to better your ratings, as do all major newscasts, but you can have the same effect while not showing dead bodies. Please have some integrity and avoid showing people's dead family members on television. Please embrace the shame that is appropriate for such disregard for the dignity of the deceased, and use it to influence your policies and practices.

Sincerely,
Paramedic Jake Schulke

I am simply disgusted, appalled, and amazed that this is permitted. Frankly I think that the media have no right to be that close to a fatality accident still under investigation. Only minutes later the fire department had placed their ladder truck in the way so the Fox News crew could not so easily broadcast images of the newly deceased. Firefighters and CHP officers were seen in later shots staring at the cameras in disgust. Do these reporters not care? How can they be so cavalier in their reporting and behave so casually about traumatic death of members of the community - the family members and friends of people potentially watching the news? Mark my words, any newscast that subjects my family to such traumatic emotional experiences will explain it to a judge. The reporters have no idea what it is actually like. I would love to have that reporter participate hands-on in the cleanup - I'll spare the details of what this entails as all my colleagues understand and others can imagine. If they had to stare the deceased in their lifeless eyes and imagine their own family it would have an effect. Perhaps the experience would enhance their understanding and personal shame, and maybe change their practices. Perhaps other influences can change their practices. I hope so, because this is just disgusting. I am forced to see the truly gruesome version of this type of thing at work, and it's not pleasant by any means. I really wish I could escape it at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment